Morris Rusivo

BY:Phodiso Gaebepe

MOLEPOLOLE; The once mighty Kgatleng Giant’s Mochudi Centre Chiefs came back strongly against Gilport Lions in the last 32 of the Orange FA Cup last night in Molepolole Sports Complex to win the match 2-1.

It was a game of two half as Gilport  was a better team in the first half. They were better in everything and every department. 

Gilport was more aggressive in the first half, always first on the ball and more quicker, when they lost the ball they recovered quickly and were always behind the ball with more numbers. This gave Magosi a hard time as they could not penetrate easily.

In terms of going forward it was the same story as the boys went with numbers and were able to share the ball quickly on the run. They kept Magosi on their toes, nonetheless Gilport was the last ball and experience.  Arnold Mampori got an injury early on the game because of this pressure, this left a gap at the back and Gilport utilised it and scored from a well built move from Gilport.

 The boys were able to penetrate through Magosi’ s defence with that speed and quick passing of the ball which ended at the back of the net.

The game went for break with Gilport leading by a goal to zero. From the break Magosi srted to show experience and Gilport also dropped their pace. Fatigue was catching up them, they became slower and this gave Magosi a chance to hold the ball and start attacking also.

 The likes of Moses Ruzivo started to come to the party, Elvis Meleka also began to see his teammates with those penetrating passes , Nakata also with his long passes now.  Experience began to prevail as the pace and the tempo of the game was favored them now. They took control and started creating chances.  Gilport Lions there and there tried to take them on with the pace and skill, but  Magosi were already charged up were able to deal with them better than in the first half.  Elvis Meleka got a chance in the first half which he failed to convert with a header just in the near post. The ball went past the post wide.

Experience tapped in now, another opportunity came in for Ruzivo from a nice pass from Meleka which he beat a Gilport defender a fired a short from outside of the box, a grass cutter to level the matters. The crowd began to have hope once more and began to sing for the boys.

Moments later another penetrating pass from Meleka in the middle of the park found Ruzivo on the wing which he crossed to Terrence Mandaza who came in as a substitute and headed it into the net to finish off Gilport Lions.  It was 2-1, it was a great come back and the Magosi crowed were in jubilant mood, the choir was crazy, they sang and liked what they saw. Gilport now was dead, tried to come back into the game it was already time up and the legs could not carry them anymore. It was game over Magosi went through to the next stage, the last 16.

In other games of the Orange FA Cup which were played over the weekend starting from Friday went as follows, Santa Green 0-3 Township Rollers, Extension Gunners 2-2 Gaborone United, Extention Gunners won 8-7 on Penalties,Red Sparks 1-2 Notwane, Peace Makers 0-10 Orapa United, Black Rangers 1-1 Jwaneng Galaxy, Galaxy won 4-5 on Penalties, Tafic 2-1 Prisons XI, Atlanta Chiesfs 2-4 Jwaneng Fighters. 

Facebook Comments Box

At Sportsnation,we publish sports locally and internationally from Botswana.

Enable Notifications    OK No thanks